Sunday, January 24, 2010

Come on over for breakfast


Saturday mornings are big breakfast mornings for us. I usually wake up to the smell of coffee & bacon and the sound of Chris banging around pots & pans in the kitchen. This particular Saturday morning I only woke up to the smell of coffee. It was my day to make our big breakfast, Chris had a mission. He was getting an early start on fence building. So up and at 'em (Audrey didn't want to sleep late today anyway.) I got the bacon goin'. A nice little slow cook sizzle as I had to get Miss Audrey fed too, and while I would like to admit I could be a pioneer woman and cook a mean breakfast with a baby on my hip, it's just not in my cards. Audrey fed, bacon done, Will's first concert for the morning, all good to go. Then I look at the pan of grease. Normally when I make bacon I just pour the grease out, saving some though for scrambling the eggs. But today I thought to myself, gravy! I'm going to surprise Chris (and myself) and make gravy! I checked the fridge for biscuits. I was going to do this. My attempts at homemade gravy making have been sub par. This is Chris' department. But wah lah! I'd say it turned out really good. Flour, milk, pepper, yum. I got a little nervous at first when it got all lumpy, but I remembered how to fix that. My only regret is that I didn't use our cast iron skillet. I'll plan ahead next time. Saturday morning breakfast of coffee, bacon & eggs, croissant biscuits & gravy and an orange for good measure (I always throw some fruit in there so I can feel kinda healthy!). I was so proud of my gravy I brought it to the window to show Chris, to tempt his appetite. He came in, fed his gut and got back to work on the fence for the rest of the day. When he came in he asked me how much of the bacon grease I used. Um, all of it?! He said good. Good. So come on over for Saturday morning breakfast whenever you'd like. I can pretty much guarantee you'll enjoy it, whoever does the cooking. But be prepared, you'll have these two happy faces to welcome you!!

Apparently Audrey didn't get enough to eat today. Her bottles, cereal, peaches, green beans, etc didn't fill her up so she felt the need to go through the trash. My poor, hungry child!



2 comments:

Kelly said...

Good job Dede! I haven't attempted gravy yet, I'm too scared.

The Rodgers said...

I am so impressed! I have not accomplished good gravy myself. But my hubby was at work yesterday morning, so cereal it was :)